I love my grocery store. Just right around the corner from my house stands my Dahl's Grocery Store. Part of one of the main grocery chains in Des Moines, and only the second ever branch to be constructed (opened in 1952) in Des Moines, it is something of a landmark in the city. When people around here ask me where I live, all I have to do mention the Dahls location I shop at and say that I live around the corner from it, and everyone nods knowingly and says, "Oh, yeah! I know exactly where that is!"
Because of the ecclectic mix of shoppers there, Darin and I used to say that we were looking for a congregation that resembles our grocery store when we were searching for our church home here. Our neighborhood is a middle class area sandwiched right in between the "old money" and "very little money" parts of town. And we all congregate in the same grocery store. It's fabulous!
Shopping there now for over four years, I've come to recognize many of the employees. One gal who checks groceries there has always stood out to me as one of the friendliest and most kind-spirited people I've ever encountered. She always has a smile on her face and and greets customers with cheerfulness.
Well, a couple of months ago I discovered the reason why she's so great! She's a Texan! And not only that, but she is from San Antonio! When we made the connection that we have the same hometown I couldn't help but blurt out, "I always knew there was a reason I liked you so much!"
Now every time I shop, I scan the checkout lines to see if my Texas friend is on duty. And if so I'm sure to get in her line when my shopping is done. I knew that she had gone home for Christmas this year, just like me, so when I went through her line tonight I knew we'd be able to share the joys of our Texas Christmas over my credit card transaction. As we animatedly chatted about the 65 degree temperatures, the Riverwalk and the South Texas Hill Country, she paused for a moment, flashed a smile at her co-worker who was bagging my groceries and announced, " We're both from Texas!"
He gave a polite nod and then continued bagging my items. I suppose we shouldn't expect him to understand... : )
Thursday, January 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wow, who'd a thunk you'd run into a hometown San Antonio girl in Dahl's in Des Moines! Cool! You'll have to tell me what brought her to Des Moines - I expect you've already asked her that question.
I love it! I know how exciting it feels to run into a San Antonian because one came into the bookstore I work at and my face lit up as we talked about the Riverwalk and The Alamo. :)
Definitely a San Antonio Thing - most wouldn't understand. I LOVE IT!
Post a Comment