I've tried to talk to the puppy about it all, but she doesn't seem to understand. Extroverted as I am, I must get these thoughts out in SOME form or I'll just burst. It is moments like these when I think, "boy it's a good thing I have a blog!!"
I had a revelation with the milk jug this morning. Before I elaborate, let me just ask:
Has the "sell by" date stamped on the milk jug ever thrown you into a minor panic?
And I don't mean panic because you realized that you may have just served your toddler milk with lumps in it. I mean panic because as you purchase your milk and bring it home, glance at the "sell by" date, you realize that some special day is approaching sooner than you had realized it and you don't feel quite prepared.
I go through milk jug induced mini-meltdowns when nearly every major holiday or birthday approaches! Take for example, Mother's Day. There I am happily shopping just to pick up two or three items I'm out of, namely MILK, and that nasty little sell by date says "May 11". I think:
"Oh my goodness! That's Mother's Day! I haven't a clue what to get for my mom and mom-in-law! And I wonder what we're going to do with the family to celebrate! Oh, and I need to get my mom something with enough time to get it shipped to Texas... good thing there is express delivery! "
And so on and so-forth.
Well, by now, most of you know that Darin and I are awaiting the arrival of our first child by domestic adoption right now! Her birthmother is due to deliver this month. And this morning at breakfast, I went to pour myself a glass of milk, and there it was, folks:
Truth on a milk jug... and it said, "You could very well be a mommy by the time I'm expired!"
Wow.

8 comments:
What a unique way of looking at time--I enjoyed reading that. Also, I just want you to know that you and Darin will figure prominently in our thoughts this month. Love you!
Those milk jugs can tell you a lot!! :) I've been marking the days off that I am subbing, but in truth, I am counting the days until I'm a grandma again!! What joy!!! Erika, are you still happy to be an Iowa girl? I've sort of been toying with the idea of moving to TX!!!
This was fun to read and I am so excited for you!
You're so cute!
I freak out about milk, but only because we never drink it (and sometimes don't even open it) before it expires. What a waste.
Erica,
I do that, too... that thing with expiration dates, I mean. And we are VERY excited for y'all! No matter how long you wait, though, when you actually get "The Call", you will not feel prepared. But you are. You are going to be a great mom.
Erika! Thats so exciting! You must be going crazy with excitement and anticipation. I will definately be praying for you and that precious little one!
Laura
THAT IS AWESOME! There's one excited aunt looking forward to that milk expiring!
Love you!
Question is, will that milk jug still be in the fridge when we get there?
Post a Comment