Monday, October 13, 2008

Recently Made or Found by Mommy!

I had grand plans for Lucy and I to be in our van right now, happily driving south for a visit to see my sister and her family. But due to some recent Lucy-induced sleep deprivation, Darin and I decided that we should stay home today to catch up on rest and pack/prepare for our trip at a leisurely pace. Lord-willing, Lucy and I will be on our way tomorrow!

It's been a little while since I've posted, but due to aforementioned exhaustion, my brain isn't up to the challenge of entertaining you with my wit. Instead, I'll entertain you with the products of my recent mommy-endeavors.
For some reason, I've had the urge to stock up on some good children's lit... even the chapter books that Lucy won't be ready to read for several years. When I find myself wandering around Half-Price Books or Barnes and Boble and spot either a favorite book from my own childhood or ones I've haven't read but would like to read with Lucy someday, I've been snatching them up.

Here are some recent kid-lit finds that I'm particularly tickled by:

I hope I'll be able to impart to Lucy the same love for reading that my mother imparted to me!

Other creative mommy-energy has been spent on some new hand-made items for Miss Lucy. I realize I've knitted her so many clothing-items, but no cuddly friends. So I decided to make Lucy this bunny from Joelle Hoverson's Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I think we shall name her "Flopsy" to tip a hat to Beatrix Potter.

I also decided to try a super cute and simple sewing pattern for fabric head-bands from Heather Bailey's fun blog, Hello My Name is Heather. And chances are, if you give this mommy a free head-band pattern, she's going to want to embellish a baby onesie to go with it. (Pardon the If You Give a Mouse A Cookie reference... like I said, kid-lit is on my mind!)


And lastly, in the spirit of fall fun, I'm also working on a Pumpkin Hat for Lucy. I'm planning on bringing it to Kelly's house and finishing it while I'm there this week. Here's a "work-in-progress" shot:
Well, Little Miss Munchkin has gone down for a nap, so I think I shall too. Goodbye for now!

5 comments:

Faith said...

You brought back some very happy memories! :) I love the pics of all the knitting/sewing projects! Way to go!

Mama Gail said...

No wonder you're so tired! You're up with Lucy all night and sewing, knitting & shopping in book stores all day! The bunny is adorable as is Lucy in the headband & onsie. And I was tickled to see that collection of books. I look forward to getting my turn to read some of them to her when she's older. Have a safe drive and a good time in Kansas. I'll pray for a good night's sleep for all three of you tonight.

Greg said...

You amaze me; maybe you can inspire me to work on something when you're here. Can I just say how excited I am to see you and Lucy tomorrow!! Love you.

Greg said...

Okay, I didn't realize Greg was signed in, that was actually from me - Kelly. :)

Erika said...

Ha! I figured that Greg is happy enough to see me tomorrow, but I'm not used to hearing him speak to me with such enthusiasm! : ) Love you, sis and I can't wait to see you!