Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Second Mitten Syndrome

Second Mitten Syndrome - in the world of knitting, "Second Mitten Syndrome" refers to when one enthusiastically begins to knit mittens and completes the first one in a breeze. When she approaches the second mitten, though, enthusiasm is lost. You just knitted that. You know how to knit it already and the second one just doesn't hold the same mystery. Plus there's the added pressure of making the second mitten turn out just like the first so they match. The same concept holds true when you knit socks.

I'm really good at completing both mittens in a timely manner when I am making them as a gift for someone else. But I have never completed a pair for myself.

I'm suffering from Second Mitten Syndrome, right now, folks. BUT, because I'm determined to complete a pair for myself before winter ends, I'm blogging and posting pictures of the work in progress for accountability.

My reward for completing my own pair will be that I may then knit a matching pair for Lucy. That makes the entire endeavor seem much cuter and thus more motivating.

5 comments:

Annalisa said...

The first one is super-cute, and it will be so happy when its friend is complete.

...ooookay, I'm anthropomorphizing handmade winter gear. Time to make some coffee and snap out of it. ;-)

Ashley Nicole said...

Beautiful:-) Keep up the good work on these cold days!

Mama Gail said...

Very cute, you deserve those mittens - keep going - you can do this! (Ok, I confess that when I strarted reading this post, I thought you were about to apply second mitten syndrome to second babies! I was glad to see that's not where you went with it :)

Kelly said...

YOU GO, GIRL! And Lucy would be sooo adorable in matching mommy-daughter mittens (so would you, but they won't match til you get one pair done as a first step). How's that for some sisterly accountability?

Margo said...

I hear ya! I also make myself finish something before starting something else cute that I really want to start!