Friday, July 13, 2007

"Miss" Jane

One of the things I love about having grown up in the south is that for the most part children are taught not to refer to "gown-ups" by their first name alone. Now they don't always necessarily address adults with their last name, but they at least attach a title to the first name. For example, I would most likely be introduced to a child as "Miss Erika" and so forth.


One of the things I love about living in a house that was built in 1911 in a neighborhood that is considered "historic" is the variety of neighbors I have. Take for example, my next-door neighbor, Jane. Jane is 93-years-young and still lives in her large, beautiful home independently. Her husband, Vincent, went to be with Jesus several years back, so I did not have the privilege of knowing him.


Let me rephrase that-I did not have the privilege of meeting him. At times I feel like I actually know him from all the wonderful stories I hear about him and how she misses him so deeply.


But wait a minute... I'm straying from my point.


When I first met Jane almost four years ago, I was new to Des Moines and a 22 year old bride-to-be. I wasn't living in the house yet, but would often come over to help Darin with the remodeling projects he was immersed in to prepare for me to join him when we got married. The first time I knocked on the door and introduced myself to my soon-to-be next door neighbor she garnered my full respect.


And I knew she would always be not "Jane" but to me she would be "Miss Jane". Little by little other neighbors on the street have started to refer to her as Miss Jane too!


I imagine you'll be hearing more about the wisdom I'm learning from Miss Jane in future posts as I have learned enough from her to write a book, but I wanted to at least make the introduction.


So here's a picture of Miss Jane and me celebrating our April Birthdays together on her front porch. Miss Jane was 93 on the 30th and I was 26 on the 9th!



2 comments:

Mama Gail said...

Say hello to Miss Jane for me and give her my love. Tell her I remember with fondness the lovely visit we had with her on Easter Sunday afternoon and how she supplied the eggs I needed to make your birthday cake, since you were out and Dahls was closed!

Kelly said...

I LOVE Miss Jane. She sent each of the girls their own sweet card with a personal, unique note after our last visit. What an amazing lady!