I am in the throws of being "mommy" to my little puppy, Minnie. I never understood people who considered themselves their dog's "mommy" before. But now, having had an 8 1/2 week old puppy in the house for the past three days has brought out a small transformation in both Darin and myself. This little "baby" dog is completely latched on to us. This is the first time she's been away from her litter-mates and her actual mommy and she's looking for comfort from me ALL the time. She really thinks I'm her new parent...
When I thought about that last night, I actually cried (as silly as that may sound).
Okay, so I'm really about to lay myself bare, here. Most of you probably already know this if you know me well but it is possible that it is news to some of you. The past two years have been a difficult journey for Darin and myself. During this time, we have asked the Lord to allow us to become parents, and for now it's appearing that He is asking us to wait. It has been an emotional roller coaster and a lesson in submitting myself to God's will.
And in a very small way, in the last couple of days, two years of bottled up desires to have someone call me (or in this case treat me as) "mommy" have had a chance to be unleashed because of this silly little puppy. I would never compare an animal to a child, please don't misunderstand me... I'm only saying that this has been a small taste to me of what it feels like to nurture and comfort a helpless living being.
And, well... I'm kind of liking it. I 'm considering these past few days as "Introduction to Puppy Love 101".
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That sweet Minnie Mae is the cutest puppy I have ever seen! We have had cute puppies, but she's amazingly way cute. How could you not fall head over heels... I can't wait to meet her!!
You know my heart about this, Erika, because we've talked at length about it. Of course dogs cannot substitute for human children, but what I love about them is how they give you an outlet for your nurturing instincts and how absolutely needy and emotionally dependant they are on their humans. I love that you and Darin have added Minnie Mae to your household. Enjoy her!
Honestly, having Padme Boxy (the boxer/pit bull) and totally loving her made me feel like I could love any adopted human child as well. Having Lily has made me think about that more seriously, but I can definitely relate to the puppy-mommy concept. I think Minnie will be great for you both to get attached to and grow with. Love you!
Post a Comment