Monday, January 21, 2008

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

I haven't blogged here for awhile and it's probably because lately I've felt that I'd rather have my shivering fingers wrapped around a cup of steaming hot tea, or busily knitting with warm wooly yarn than to sit in my drafty dining room where my computer is located to blog.
If Darin and I hadn't gone down to Texas for Christmas and had the nice break from the winter weather when we did, I might be going postal at the moment with cabin fever. I must say that Minnie has been quite a trooper and that I might not be so compliant if I had to go outside in single digit temperatures every time I had to go potty. So, bravo Minnie! You get an extra treat for being a good sport!

I would post a picture here of all the snow we've been having (it's been on the ground here since November and it just keeps accumulating!) but I'm too chicken to even go out long enough to snap a few shots! I do have a picture from a really snowy day LAST year that looks pretty much like it does right now... I promise.

So, to give you an idea of what my front yard is looking like right now:

Even though these temperatures can be hard for this wimpy Texan to cope with, I must say that the beauty of the snow is breath taking! And any time I catch myself moaning when the snow starts up again, I think back to all of my childhood dreams of having snow just once toplay in while I was growing up. And I try to think of it as yet one more chance to have my childhood dreams fulfilled!

And such life it brings to the scriptures when I come across references of how God brings about new life in the spring after a difficult winter season! Take, for example, the Song of Solomon, chapter 2, verses 10-12:

"See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land."

Now I must admit that the hope of spring might not have such a presence in my life were it not for the long and difficult winter.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I love this post because I can relate to it so well. We are fortunate in the midwest to have 4 distinct seasons and the bitterly cold Winter gives us so much to look forward to in Spring.

Little Miss Sunshine said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean! We have had snow on the ground for the past 2 months, and it just keeps accumulating more and more. I wouldn't mind it so much if we could get a few more snow-days though. :)

Sabrina said...

I LOVE having four seasons. I don't mind the winter very much but as Natalie points out it would be nice to get a snow day now and again. It has to be extremely bad in order for us to get one. On the light side, our yellow lab, Daisy, loves the snow. She rolls around in it and then gets a big smile on her face!

Mama Gail said...

Yikes, it's beautiful, but it says a lot that you resorted to posting a picture from last year rather than go out to take a current one! I don't suppose there's much chance of a thaw in the next month or so.

Anonymous said...

Hi Erika! It took me a while to actually see your comment on our blog - I hadn't been checking them because I thought we would get an e-mail notification of posted comments. I guess not! Your blog is super cute - I love reading people's blogs and keeping up with their lives. I'm very jealous of your snow. :)