Sunday, February 17, 2008

Charity Auctions Bring Out the Worst in Me

In most aspects of my life I would consider myself to be rather non-competitive. I find myself wondering at Darin and why it is so much fun for him to turn everyday occurances into competitions. I honestly have never grasped the allure of competition in sports and reality TV show contests sort of stress me out. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I am so relational and"friendly competition" carries with it too much risk that people's feelings may get unintentionally hurt.

A long time ago I did discover a place deep within myself that is fiercely competitive and rather ruthless. That monster unleashes when I play board games, and those of you who have played board games with me know what I am referring to. I am rather appalled at myself in the aftermath of playing many board games and have had to ask forgiveness or even take sabatacles from certain games for months at a time in an effort to gain some self-control.

Well, I am sorry to report that on Friday I discovered an additional facet to the competitive monster lurking within: the allure of Silent Charity Auctions.

Friday's scenario began with an invitation to join Darin's sister Dawn and the rest of his family to attend a special event raising money to benefit the agency she works for that serves people with mental disabilities. Seeing as how I worked with people with mental disabilities for more than three years AND knew this was a geat opportunity to show support to my sister-in-law, I arrived eager to bid on some items for this good cause!

No sooner had I taken two steps in the large room with all the items set out for bid, when I spotted it! A beautiful basket FULL of light pink BABY GIRL items! We're talking plush polar fleece blankets, cute onesies, a small diaper bag, an adorable teddy bear, a travel size set of Johnson's baby products and a darling sleeper with little pink hearts on it. I was hooked.

Seeing as how we're expecting to meet our sweet baby girl any day now, my mommy-to-be adrenaline kicked into gear and the bidding began. After awhile, Dawn began to get approached by friends and co-workers of hers who had their names in the bid list, saw that I had the same last name as her and wanted to know who I was. After while, I realized I was competing with an actual pregnant lady and I felt kind of bad. But not bad enough.

Apparently a lot our family were fighting tooth and nail for their respective bid items, because a friend of the family's who was also present actually overheard some people passing who said to each other"Who are these Stevensons?" I was kind of embarrassed but not embarrassed enough.

I came home with my precious "New Baby Girl" basket and happily unpacked and stored my "spoils" in the nursery we've been preparing.

Maybe it's time for me to take a Silent Charity Auction sabatacle.

5 comments:

Mama Gail said...

So now when you misbehave in public, it's a reflection on the Stevensons? I think I'm OK with that! :)

Melanie said...

You go, girl!

Kelly said...

Hey Melanie, that's just what I was going to say! Great sister minds think alike. I'll just add, my sweet sister, that this is only the beginning. Wait until yard sales with fabulous toys and books and precious outfits; you'll be elbowing other mothers out of the way and relishing your victories.

Anonymous said...

Erika, this post made me laugh. This is Leighann Martin, by the way. Long time, no? Beverly Ham gave me the address to your blog a couple of weeks ago and I have been checking it every couple of days since. I see that things are going well for you. Very exciting news about the expected baby! It is a pleasure to read about what is going on with you! My email is dandelionslelevb5@juno.com if you'd like to email me sometime.

EMJ said...

I almost did the same thing this past summer, because there was an amazing Moses basket, but Jake and I backed off because I was barely showing and the couple that was fighting us looked like she could go in to labor at any point! Hindsight...I should have pressed on! After all, what is wrong with fighting other people out to donate money for a good cause? :o)