Okay, so I LOVE being a stay-at-home mommy! Being with Lucy (when I can't be with Lucy AND Darin) is my FAVORITE thing to do! But in light of my new "full-time job" I'm sort of feeling the need to keep (or make) myself hip. Also, for quite some time now, when I meet people for the first time and tell them that I love to knit and even used to work in a yarn shop, I've gotten some peculiar looks. Mainly from folks who might not be in the know enough to realize just how hip knitting really is and how it's not as old fashioned and unfashionable as they may think. I'm starting to wonder if I need to add a little something to my look to help people realize that I'm not quite as behind the times as they would think.
I don't go for regular hair appointments often enough to try a bold new hair color or daring cut/style. Tattoos are out of the question for me... I won't elaborate, I just don't have the desire to do it. Buying a new more "hip" wardrobe is too expensive.
Most body piercings don't have appeal for me, but I just think I'm starting to really like the look of a tiny, subtle little nose stud. I can always let the piercing grow closed if I decide that the look is no longer for me. I don't think that Lucy will be able to grab a little bitty nose stud and pull it very easily as she gets bigger. Plus, as I explained to Darin recently, this consideration holds significance because as a teenager, the physical feature I disliked and was the most self-conscious about was my nose. Oh the hours I spent just hoping that somehow God would transform my nose into a cuter, smaller, straighter thing. I was almost convinced that I would never find a man to marry because surely no one would be able to get past the dreadful shape of my nose.
It's amazing the way our perception of our physical appearance can be so askew, especially during the awkard adolescent years. But now, I'm feeling rather pleased with the fact that I like my nose enough to draw more attention to it with some sparkly jewelry.
I'm no where near a final decision. AND I am open to your opinions. So would you kindly take a minute to vote in my poll on the left?? I'd appreciate it. : )
Monday, April 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

22 comments:
I assume you are joking, right? You already have 2 holes in your nose, why a third one? But then, maybe a third one would make it possible for you to spout like a whale. :o)
If my husband would let me get a nose piercing, I'd do it in a heartbeat. (But I doubt my employer would look upon it too kindly...I'm not yet a stay at home mommy.) I pierced my ear cartilage 6 months ago in view of staying hip and, while it still hurts like crazy, I like it very much and feel quite cool.
Some comments from your nose-studded stay-home-working-mommy friend:
- First off, I understand your sudden urge to feel hip, like a cool woman not a half-dead sleep-deprived mommy. And I liked your most recent haircut. A new skirt or top can really help, too. I chopped my hair (11 inches), since I already had the nose piercing, and two holes in each earlobe.
- Secondly, some comments on a pierced nose with an infant:
...Lily (13 months) has been grabbing it for several months now (like 6), and it really hurts when that happens.
...She actually pulled it out and I lost it sometime last week, and in the throws of sick child/mommydom I have yet to go get another one that fits, so my current placeholder (blue stone) stud is kinda ugly and too long for my small nose.
...When you are sick and have to blow your nose, it can get extra irritated,and you have to hold it so it doesn't fly out.
...Contrary to popular belief, nose studs are not the same as ear studs, they do not have a back, rather they have a kind of hook on the end so you have to twist it 'just so' to get it in/out.
...I still love mine, and enjoy being the super conservative Christian stay home mommy and challenging stereotypes by being a hip hippie part-time engineer mom as well.
...Other ways to make people surprised at your life choices: get a pit bull, use cloth diapers, nurse longer than a year, don't start your daughter on solids until past 6 months, make your own baby food when you do, and become a Democrat. (J/k on the last one.)
...More seriously, my cousin got her nose pierced (inspired by yours truly), and it turns our her cartilage doesn't like foreign objects and started creating a lump of scar tissue, so she had to take it out in order to keep from having a permanent notty mound on her nose.
...While I have considered taking out my nose ring recently while I am teaching Lily not to pull on it, I still enjoy it, my husband thinks it's hot, and I figure I'd rather really be sick of it or too old for it when I finally take it out for good, give in to maternity and aging and attempt to project wisdom rather than youth.
My vote: If you really want it, get it now, while Lucy can't tug at it, and before you are too old and it becomes that midlife crisis thing you do that makes you look like one of those old ladies trying too hard.
My husband said I live up to my pseudonym, and asked if my comment was longer than your post! Sorry! My logorrhea is at it again! Love you!
I think you have a beautiful nose! I voted for the second choice, because, I would never get one myself (I rarely even change my earrings.) My sister-in-law (a doctor) has one and she really pulls it off well. I say go for it if you want to! Lucy will love to look at the pictures of you with your hipness as she gets older!
Oh, a couple things I have done lately to feel hip is...
-Buy Skechers shoes (okay I feel more like a tween but they are comfy!)
-Buy a Puma bag (you could also get another "hip" brand instead)
-Buy a Pink cell phone with some bling!
I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to think of you the same any more.
;0)
Natalie wants a nose piercing! She's 17! I think you are great just the way you are. Who needs to be hip any way? Hip is over rated. Being a mommy is the coolest of all!
Attention - this is your mother! Are you kidding me? Earth to Erika: Your nose is adorable - it has always been adorable and does not need enhancement! Need I remind you that your ears can't even tolerate most earrings, so you seldom wear any? Need I remind you that you have awful allergies and spend entire months sneezing & sniffling & blowing your nose? Call me, we need to talk!
Mom, Sam come on now, one of you didn't vote or didn't vote the way you should have. Help me out here! Judy, where are you?
Now Sugar... you know I've always told you that you have the nose of Greek goddess. I'd be willing to bet it's a primary feature that attracted Darin. Its beauty really needs no glitter. But seriously — me — giving "hip" advice ;o)
I voted!
For the record, I'm on your side, Gail. The categories are weighted in favor of doing it. I don't fall into the category of parent, sibling, etc. My vote is no. The idea of having a cold or alergy attack with a nose ring is just down right icky pooh!
Erika, your mom is going to kill me but I voted in favor of the nose ring. Not because you are not hip enough as it is but because I think nose rings are cute. I know a mom with a tiny one and it is adorable. Whatever you decide to do just know I think you are beautiful inside and out! :)
I am beginning to think you are serious about this, therefore, I apologize for being so flippant about it. However, I am not changing my vote, just my attitude. For the record, I think you are hip enough as you are.
I have to say...I've been thinking about getting one myself :) I think nose rings (or studs, rather) are adorable!
I can't believe this!! Do you want to know how long I have wanted a nose stud?! YES! We share another thing...the desire for a nose piercing. I was so close to having one in 2001 when I studied for a month in London, England, and then I was out of money so...I have since brought this idea to the front of my...um...nose and I have considered this too since I feel like I need to be a little more hip. Let's see what Jake says. Wait, should we just go together and do it someday? Let me know your schedule! :o)
hey! very interesting comments so far...here's what I usually do to feel "HIP"....get a new haircut (not sooo permanent, but still pampering) and/or by a cute new outfit at Plato's Closet (not soooo permawnent, but still trndy at least for a few weeks) :)
If you get your nose pierced, I think I should too. What do you think? Except I don't want a stud... I want a ring... in the center... like a bull.
WOW, have I been out of the loop! My sweet Sis, you are beautiful. I remember feeling terribly sorry for your cute nose after you fell and it looked so bruisey and you had two black eyes... But to stay on topic, you would be extremely hip and cute with a tiny sparkly on your nose; you do completely qualify apart from one too. I'm imagining myself with one and little kleenex shreds often stuck to the underside of it... perhaps not for me. Maybe I'll try one of the little stick on earring sparkles the doctor's office gives out as prizes.
Let me introduce myself: I am you sister, Kelly's friend. I enjoy your blog, Erika and I think your daughter is beautiful! Now, to the topic at hand: a nose piercing. First, let me say that our own beautiful daughter (who is also a mom) has a nose piercing. At first, I didn't like it at all, but as time has gone on, I don't even notice it. I don’t think it has been an issue with her kids when they were infants. Here's what I want to comment: you have listed all EXTERNAL changes that you have considered in order to feel "hip" (although you have not defined "hip"). External changes are just external—what internal changes are part of being "hip?”
I am hesitant to use myself as an example, but I am a plain, short, somewhat stout middle-aged woman. Nobody would ever mistake me for a stunning person—and I am certainly not a "trend-setter". Most frequently, I feel "invisible" in society because of my age and my external appearance. I would be lying if I said I never have the desire to be a "head-turner." However, lately God has been revealing to me how important my heart is to Him. I actually don't need to be young, stunningly attractive, or a "head-turner" to thrill the lover of my soul. Even though my heart may be hidden to the outside world, it is never hidden to God. Also, as God transforms me, He has given me a distinct circle of influence—and that influence has little to do with how I look but more to do with how I live my life and how I relate to Him.
So, pierce your nose, if you want (but I think your mom made a good point about contact allergies). But, you may want to spend sometime thinking about your desire to be "hip." I recomment you not stress about your outward appearance to OTHERS. Consider your inside and ask God to make you in His image. Living that way (rather than a focus on externals) will have a remarkably strong influence on your precious daughter.
HahaHA!! Just stumbled onto your blog (thanks Margo) and I just had to laugh and laugh at this entry. :) I say go for it. ;) It would be very cute! Way to get everyone talking...
My favorite babysitter ever had a nose stud. She was an art major in college and a little on the trendy side, and boy was she fun! But as I thought more and more about your post, I began to think that she might be the answer to your question. The thing looked like a little diamond stud...super small...but it was fake. It was a extremely strong magnet. It looks funny reading it and thinking about sticking a magnet up your nose, but nobody other than your family, and people that totally freak out on you, well, and the people on the blog, would know! You wouldn't have to worry about the sensitivity thing your mom pointed out, and the whale thing that your grandma pointed out, or even the hole in the nose or huge scars....
And yet...just think of the possibilities! :)
Post a Comment