Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Name

I love the questions I get from time to time as to how we chose the name Lucy for our daughter. I never quite know how to interpret it when I'm asked, "Is Lucy a family name?" Does that perhaps mean that they're thinking that the only way we would have chosen that name was if there was a Lucy in our family we wanted to honor? I actually think it's best not to ponder this question too much.

Sometimes when I'm asked this question, I'm tempted to make up some outlandish answer like:

"No there isn't a Lucy in either of our families. However, many years ago, Darin dated a girl named Lucy who was suffering from a terminal illness. To honor her dying wish, he promised her that if he ever had a daughter he would name her Lucy as a tribute to her."

But alas, no such noble story accompanies our name choice.

Even though the name "Lucy" is making somewhat of a comeback these days, I have only run into a very few people in real life named Lucy.

There are, though, MANY oh-so-likeable fictional Lucy's in our world (a fact which I LOVE!). So today, in an effort to celebrate the name "Lucy" I thought it would be fun to highlight a few great Lucy's in our world who have been immortalized in literature, movies, television and comic strips! Enjoy!

1. Lucy Pevensie (The Chronicles of Narnia)


Okay, I dare you to find ANY "Narnia" Fan out there who doesn't absolutely LOVE Lucy Pevensie. (I actually get asked if our Lucy is named after Lucy Pevensie almost as much as I get asked if it is a family name!).

The girl is great. She has a steadfast faith that only becomes stronger when others mock her for it. She believes the impossible and finds ways to prove wrong the doubters in her life. Then, she forgives them for mistreating her. Plus her best friend is a faun named Mr. Tumnus. See! Even if you aren't a Narnia Fan, I bet you love her already.

2. Lucy Van Pelt (Peanuts)


So this girl has got guts. Even when 90% of the words coming out of her mouth are nonsensical, she NEVER lacks a captive audience. She's able to enter any scene and gain control of the situation and bring strong leadership skills to the table. Also a gifted multi-takser, she is able to run her own psychiatric practice, direct a Christmas pageant, AND organize a football team. Wow, ya gotta give this Lucy some credit.

Just beware of getting on her bad side.

3. Lucy Eleanor Moderatz (While You Were Sleeping)


Arguably Sandra Bullock's most endearing role in a major motion picture, Lucy Moderatz is the picture of a down-to-earth, easily-related-to kind of girl. Who among you, who has been alive for at least 20 years, has not fallen in love with a complete stranger? Exactly. You're feeling her pain already. Not only did she love a man she'd never actually met, but she managed to rescue him after he was mugged, and proceeded to comfort his family (who mistakenly believed her to be his fiance) while he was in a coma. It could happen to anyone. Her extraordinary story ends with her finding genuine love and becoming a legit member of the family she came to love so dearly. As to how love finds her, I'll let you discover by watching the movie if you haven't already done so. You won't be disappointed.

4. Lucy Ricardo (I Love Lucy)


Any discussion of the great Lucy's in fiction wouldn't be a discussion at all if Lucy Ricardo was left out. I don't even think I need to explain why she's fabulous, but I will do my best to sum up her greatness with a few short bullet points:

  • Cuban husband.

  • Red hair (that's a shout out to you, Kelly, in case you didn't pick up on it).

  • Great wardrobe.

  • Great house.

  • Sticky situations you couldn't even dream up.

  • Even crazier solutions to those situations.

Well, now my lovely non-fictional Lucy is needing my attention so I'll let you go. But before you do, would you kindly satisfy my curiosity and vote for your favorite fictional Lucy on my poll on the right? Thanks!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Erika,
I love ALL those fictional Lucy's. But, alas, the REAL Lucy is so precious and adorable, I just have to vote for her as the very best!!
A proud Grandma!!

Mama Gail said...

I'm with you Judy, our real life Lucy takes the prize and her name suits her perfectly! As for the fictional Lucys, I'd have to vote for Lucy Pevensie, though.

Sharon M said...

What about Saint Lucy, the patron saint of blind people?

Just a thought :)

Shannon said...

I have to vote for Lucy Van Pelt...