When Lucy was around 5 months old I remember her having a couple days of "feeling under the weather". But she has gotten to the age of 11 months without getting truely sick. It was bound to happen and it finally has!
The poor munchkin has been miserable especially during the night. All I can say is that the vaporizer is my our best friend as I am convinced it is the only reason she's slept during the night for four to six hour chunks at a time.
If Lucy could talk, I'm pretty sure she'd tell you that she doesn't consider her mommy to be HER best friend at the moment. If I so much as approach her nose with or without kleenex and nasal aspirator, she cries and thrashes her head. It stinks being the "mean guy" but I always knew it would be part of mothering. I keep telling her that I am sure Mama Gail did the same things to me if I was ever sick as a baby... and that I turned out just fine. She remains unconvinced.
I'm glad these aren't the memories she'll have of me when she is able to look back on being sick as a child. I'm hoping they'll be more along the lines of the memories I have of my mom taking care of me when I was sick at an age that I can remember:
Making me chicken soup from scratch and letting me pick the shape of noodle that went in. Renting me lots of movies to watch from my sick post on the sofa. Running me warm baths. Taking my temperature and feeling sorry for me...
The fact that I too am currently sick with the same bug that Lucy has also makes me wonder how many times my mom took care of me while she was sick at the same time... I am sure it happened plenty of times and I was never the wiser.
Mom, thanks for being such a great mother and teaching me how to mother my own children!
Saturday, January 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Erika,
I'm so sorry you and Lucy are feeling under the weather. If I weren't working this week I would come and help you. Hope you both will be feeling fit and fine very soon.
Love you both.
Grandma S.
I'm so sorry Miss Lucy is sick but so glad you are her mommy! Thanks for sharing the sweet memories! Lucy will have lots of sweet memories of her mommy's TLC too!
Our son doesn't remember the dreaded nasal aspirator either. Good thing,too -- I used to have to pin him down to clean out his nose, he was such a strong kid. Our daughter is totally different. She actually likes it and laughs when I'm finished. Weird.
Post a Comment