Saturday, June 6, 2009

Eating My Words

If you've talked much with me about the pregnancy, you have heard me confidently predict that I am expecting to go at least ten days past my due date, and no, it doesn't matter what YOU may think, there's no way I'll be giving birth prior to my due date (July 7th). I've been predicting a July 17th birth.

Hmmm. I may be singing a different tune now. Yesterday my doctor estimated the baby's current weight at 6 lbs 8 oz and said he wouldn't be surprised if I gave birth two weeks from now. What?! He also predicts that if I make it to the due date to expect him to be in the 9 lb range. I have many friends who have given birth to babies this big and they have survived, but you know, I had the privilege of witnessing 6 lb 14oz Lucy's birth and that didn't look like a picnic! Since neither me nor my siblings were even in the 8 lb range at birth, I've been assuming I'd be in line with my genetics when it came to my baby's birth weight. Now it's looking like I'm inheriting Darin's genes when it comes to birth weight.

So, for all of those who have listened to me tout my over-confident predictions that I won't be giving birth to this baby until mid to late July, I am officially eating my words. I am now rooting for late June.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Are we making a baby pool because I want in! :) I'm officially going on record as saying I believe that Little Mr. Stevenson will be born on JUNE 17th. Why you may ask? Because I said so. :) :)

Unknown said...

Just remember, Erika, that baby can't be born before the 26th!!! Do what you have to do, but keep that baby snuggled inside you at least until then!!! :) Grandma wants to be here when it happens!!

Stout Family said...

Dearest Friend,

YOU CRACK ME UP! :) I am praying for a safe delivery for you and your little prince...when his Creator (Psalm 139) says it's time to be born! :)

Jonna

P>S> I have delivered 3, 8lb, babies and I'm okay (okay that's debatable). :) Can't wait to meet your little guy!

EMJ said...

I agree with Stout Family, and that precious baby will come when his Heavenly Father decides. Giving into the idea that your body can handle whatever size your baby is can be liberating! Fiona's guess date was 3/26 and I knew that it was too early. I thought at least 4/2 and she came 4/4. She was 8.8 and Iain 9.3. I know that I am taller than you, but I promise that your body was designed for this by the best Designer. Best wishes and God bless your childbirth.

Anonymous said...

Isn't the dr's estimation always give or take 1 lb? I remember my widwife predicting Sadie's weight and she was 1 lb off (Sadie was smaller)...so you might still be okay! And for what it's worth, I've also been told that bigger babies can be easier to deliver - they push out easier/quicker. I'm in the pool for July 1.

Erika said...

That's my Mom's birthday! I think that would be awesome if he was born in July 1st! : )

Sharon M said...

You know, Erika, the closer I got to my due date, the more I was hoping for the baby to come early (or at least on time!). Those last few weeks are difficult for me. Especially in the summer.

Can I put in my prediction for July 4th? That would be a fun day to be born! Hope you have a safe delivery and healthy baby boy. I look forward to hearing your birth story later on.