Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Our Night at the Fair

I've been living in Iowa now for over four years. And let me tell you, if there's one aspect of Iowa living that I haven't been able to resist, it's going to the Iowa State Fair every year. I never went to the Texas State Fair, and even though I'm sure it's great, I don't feel like I was deprived. But there's just something compelling about the Iowa State Fair. It is woven into the culture here, the way the Alamo, the Riverwalk and the San Antonio Spurs were woven into my growing up experience in Texas.

So, shortly after settling here in Iowa, I decided that "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and started to embrace those few hot days in mid-August that bring in the Fair.

Here were the highlights of my and Darin's night at the Fair this evening:


  • Deep fried cheese curds (yum!)
  • Butter sculptures of a cow (an annual tradition) and of Harry Potter
  • Yes, I did say butter sculptures
  • Baby chicks
  • A styrofoam cup full of warm chotolate chip cookies
  • The big boar
  • The big bull
  • The knitting exhibit
  • Carneys jeering at my husband, daring him to play their games and win me a prize
Below are just a few pictures from our evening... enjoy!



Leave it to me to go to the Iowa State Fair and find SOMEthing that originated in Texas.


I knew you'd have to see the butter sculptures to believe them:






The Butter Cow





The Butter Harry



And lastly, here's a blurry shot of Darin with the big boar.

5 comments:

Annalisa said...

Oh no, Harry Potter has been struck by a Churning Curse! :-) Looks like the fair was a fun time--thanks for posting the pictures.

Jenna said...

I'm from Iowa and am transplanted to Texas and I'm SO jealous that you got to go to the fair!

But seeing that picture of your husband by the big boar makes me feel just a better. (That boar was big this year.)

Did you see the big bull, too? That's always my favorite. :)

Mama Gail said...

You're right, Erika, those pictures did make me smile :)
It did my heart good to see you standing by that Texas longhorn! I didn't go to work today, but I'm wondering if when I do, I should mention the butter Harry Potter to Josie. I can hear it now, "Gail, explain the butter Harry Potter to me again - I just don't get it."

Rick said...

Hi Sugar! (This is her Daddy so I can safely say that.)

So sorry for the ginormous delay in posting to your blog of heartfelt words. I have truly been reading faithfully, but you know me — slow to respond ;o) ...

The fair looked like a great time! That's a great shot of you with the Texan. Is that Darin I see reflected in the glass on the Harry pic? Why does it look like he's wearing a dress? (Hopefully he reads your blog from time to time, so that wasn't wasted ;o)

I'm enjoying your "word smithing" and the great images. You are the "Knitmeister"

Love You,

-- Daddy

BTW — I read somewhere that "ginormous" is actually a legitimate word that's been added to the dictionary.

Kelly said...

O, my aching heart!!! I long to be there at that fabulous Iowa state fair. Tasted those cookies and curds from memory when you mentioned them (threw in the mini doughnuts too, just for fun). How I would have loved to be there with you, Sis!
Miss you!